Miami Lakes Educational Center (MLEC)
Eligibility Criteria and Additional Information
Criteria for Enrollment
- 2.0 Grade Point Average
- Good Attendance/Conduct/Effort
- Must Opt for the 24-credit/4-year graduation plan
Criteria for Cambridge Academy
- 2.5 GPA
- Level 3 FCAT
- No Academic or Exam grade of D or F in any mathematics course
- Journalism and Forensic Science - Incoming 9th - Algebra 1 and Physical Science. Incoming 10th - Algebra 1, Geometry, Physical Science and Biology.
- Engineering - Incoming 9th Algebra 1, Geometry and Physical Science. Incoming 10th Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Physical Science and Biology for Engineering
- Specific Career Pathway choices may require students to attend summer and/or additional classes to facilitate earning certain career and technical certificates and/or for meeting requirements for high school graduation or college entry.
- Transportation availability is limited and may not be available to all students.
- Special Education (SPED) Program – Career and technical education programs provide the opportunity for SPED students to pursue a realistic career choice while participating in a balanced academic curriculum. Accommodations are provided in general educational classes to enable SPED students every opportunity for success while acquiring a marketable skill.
- Dress for Success – MLEC is a uniform school. The student’s specific uniform or shirt identifies their Academy or Career Pathway. There are uniform costs associated with each Academy.
- Student Activities/Athletics – Students may be required to become members of the organizations related to their Career Academies; additional costs for membership may be involved. A wide variety of student activities is available, ranging from interest and service clubs to intramural sport competitions. Students wishing to participate in a regular high school athletic program may do so at their home schools, provided they meet eligibility requirements.
- Continued enrollment – continued enrollment for subsequent years after initial acceptance is contingent upon students maintaining the above mentioned eligibility criteria. Failure to do so may result in the student being returned to their home school.